AAC Honey Badger

Posted: June 17, 2013 in Products

I have to admit, I have a bit of a crush on AAC. They’re great people that make some innovative firearms, ammunition and silencers including the .300 AAC Blackout round. And they’ve come up with a fantastic way to tie it all together in a personal defense weapon called the Honey Badger. And thanks to a trip I took a few months ago to AAC’s HQ Kevin told me what it’s all about and I even got to see it before the rest of the world.

Read more…

Published originally in “The Truth About Guns”




Gun Review: CAI Canik55 TP-9

Posted: June 16, 2013 in Uncategorized

Gun Review: CAI Canik55 TP-9.

When Mr. Bond grew tired of his German mouse gun, he “upgraded” to the Walther P99. I don’t know how many of you out there upgraded along with him, but if you’re like me you didn’t. My “excuse” for shunning the gun: I’m not a huge fan of the P99′s H&K style magazine release. You know, the kind located on the trigger guard? Its proximity to the trigger is as welcome as hot-sauce in saline solution. Ergonomically? Awk-ward. This made the gun a attractive to me as . . .

Some people, even licensed dealers (FFL) have a misunderstanding regarding the shipment of firearms. I will attempt to make a quick reference for who can ship and what can be shipped when it comes to firearms. This article will pertain mainly to non-licensees, which probably means you (if you are not a licensed dealer or FFL). THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVISE, CHECK WITH PROPER LEGAL AUTHORITIES BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING RELATED TO THE SHIPMENT OF FIREARMS!!!

I will break this down into some easy categories as to make this simple. Additionally, I will include the references as you rarely see this in gun blogs or chat forums. As an aside, please be careful what you read in certain chat forums as some of the opinions are just that, opinions. Be wary when people post, “my friend said”, or, “I heard from a guy” when it is in regards to gun laws. This is how bad rumors are spread and continue to fester, when in doubt, check the laws, policies, etc that pertain to your question.

Shipping via the United States Postal Service:
-Yes, pistols can be mailed via the US post office, but ONLY by a licensed dealer.
-Yes, a non-licensed dealer can ship rifles and shotguns through the US post office to another non-licensed dealer, ONLY if it is within the same state! However, “the Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.”
-Yes, a non-licensee can mail rifles and shotguns out of state, ONLY to an FFL (licensed dealer).
” A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State.” -BATFE

Shipping via contract carriers:
-Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship pistols through a contract carrier, but ONLY within the same state.
-Yes, as a non-licensee you can ship a pistol out of state, but ONLY to a licensed dealer. The BATFE states, “In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.”
“A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.” -BATFE
-And as an added bonus, “A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.” -BATFE

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
BATFE states

Remember, most of your issues come when you ship firearms across state boundaries. Within your own state, however, things are different. Also remember that there are differences with laws/policies when it comes to the USPS and a contract carrier, the main difference is the issue with pistols. As a non-licensee, you cannot ship pistols via the USPS. On the other hand, if you are an non-licensee, you can use contract carriers to ship pistols per the laws mentioned above.

The one thing to take out of this is to always check references when dealing with firearms. You don’t want to make a mistake when it comes to firearms and on the other hand you may actually be able to legally do something that you thought was not legal. Please do yourself a favor and others within the firearms community, CHECK YOUR FACTS!!! Do not take the word of your “buddy” or some person on a chat forum, especially when it deals with firearms.

I will attempt to post more fact checking blogs using references in order to educate others within the firearms community. Thanks and remember, NOTHING in this article should be considered legal advice. Before you ship a firearm, you must consult with the proper legal authorities local, state and federal, before doing so!



To buy the Glock 17 Gen 4, click here at Defense Firearms

Written by: Nick Leghorn

Glock is the single most popular manufacturer of handguns in the United States. Thanks to a marketing department that could sell bayonets to millionaires and billionaires, Glock’s brick-like semi-automatic pistols are universally recognized, glamorized and immortalized. Just ask 2Pac. Oh wait. I’ve avoided Glocks due to their association (in my mind) with Tupperware. After resisting Glock’s plastic fantastic siren song for more than a decade I finally decided to see if Glocks are all that and a bag of chips. So I asked, and I received and I shot the ever-loving crap out of Glock’s standard duty model: the venerable Glock 17…Read More…


Image  —  Posted: October 29, 2012 in Uncategorized

This article is the second part of “How to legally own an SBR” (short barrel rifle). The first article focused on the measurements and everything leading up to the paperwork. This article specifically covers SBRs but can apply to short barrel shotguns, suppressors or other class III weapons.

Once you have obtained the measurements and the basic information off of the firearm you want to convert to an SBR, you will now need to fill out the proper paperwork, or the ATF Form 1. There are basically two ways to do this, first is the primary way of obtaining your fingerprints and photograph for the Form 1, however, that may be an issue for some.

In order for the ATF to review and approve your Form 1, you must have approval (signature) from the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) in your area. Depending where you live, this may not work as some CLEOs will not sign the form. That’s where you go to the second option, a Trust, or an NFA Trust.

An NFA Trust is a way for an individual to be in possession/control of an NFA item by putting it under another entity. The Trust will allow a person to be the Trustee, or controller of all items in the trust, i.e. all your NFA items. The best way to accomplish this is to contact a trust lawyer in your area who specifically does NFA Trusts. You only need to get one Trust for all of your NFA items so it is a one time deal.

Once you have your NFA Trust made, now you can get to work. Here is how you fill out the Form 1 using an NFA Trust. If you are permitted to own a Class III item as an individual then the paperwork is fairly simple and some of this article will still apply. Let’s go line by line on how to fill out the Form 1:

1: For most of us we will mark “a” as you will typically have to pay the $200 for the stamp.
2: For NFA Trusts, you will mark “Corporation or Other Business Entity”. This is because you are not buying it as an individual but as an entity, or Trust.
3a: If you are registering this as a business, you would fill this out, if not, leave blank.
3b: The applicant’s name is the name of your trust, for example “John Doe NFA Trust”. The address will typically be the Trustee’s address where the item/s will be stored.
3c: Self explanatory
3d: The county where the item will be stored.
3e: The main telephone number, most likely the Trustee.
4a: The name and location of the firearm should be on the receiver, (example: ABC Firearms Co, Tampa, Fl).
4b: Type of firearm made is an Short Barrel Rifle for the purpose of this article.
4c: Caliber, self explanatory.
4d: Model, self explanatory.
4e: Barrel length, self explanatory see the first article “How to Legally Own an SBR” to see how to measure lengths.
4f: Overall length, from tip of barrel to the end of the buttstock fully extended. Do not measure temporary parts of the firearms, i.e. flash suppressor or buttstock pad, these are not permanent fixtures.
4g: Serial Number: Self explanatory.
4h: Additional Information will be what you will have engraved on the firearm once you convert it legally to an SBR, this is required by the ATF. For this article you can put “John Doe NFA Trust, Tampa, FL”
4i: State why you intend to make firearm: Keep it simple, an example is “Personal and recreational use”.
4j: More than likely you will say no, if you are unsure read the definition with the Form 1 1k.
5: Odds are you are not an FFL, if you are you probably won’t need to read this anyway, leave blank if you are not an FFL.
6: Special Occupational Tax Stamp: Once again, if you are not an FFL, leave this blank. This also means for 6a and 6b.
7: Signature: Self explanatory.
8: If you are the Trustee an example will be “John Doe, Trustee”.
9: Date: Self explanatory.
10a-e: Self explanatory.
12: This is where you would affix your photograph if you are not using a Trust.
13: Once again, if you are permitted by the CLEO in your area to own an SBR or Class III weapon, they would fill this out. If not, you are using an NFA Trust and leave blank.

Once you fill out the Form 1, print off two copies and sign both. Additionally, you will print off a copy of your NFA Trust and submit with both copies of the Form 1.

In your NFA Trust, the the last page will typically be a “Schedule A”. This is where you list all properties or money that the trust owns. Your Trust should be “funded” before you send your application to the ATF. You should be able to put any piece of property or money in the Trust in order to fund it. If you want to put money in the Trust in order to fund it (for example $10), put the $10 in the Trust and list the $10 in the Schedule A as property owned by the Trust.

You should now have everything you need to mail off to the ATF:
-2 copies of your Form 1 signed
-1 Copy of your funded NFA Trust
-1 Check for $200 made payable to the Department of the Justice

Remember, this article only serves as a guide and in no way be taken as legal advice. Please consult proper legal consultation for proper advice regarding firearms and NFA laws. Additionally, if you see any inaccuracies in this article, please feel free to email, sales@defensefirearms.com.

Here are some pistols that are relatively easy to legally convert to an SBR:
-DS Arms SA58
Century Arms C93 Pistol
Sig Sauer P556




Sig Sauer P250 Review

Posted: October 26, 2012 in Product Review
Tags: , ,

To buy a Sig P250, go to Defense Firearms

Gun Review: SIG SAUER P250 9mm
Published on August 9th, 2010
Written by: Don Gammill Jr.

As a kid, there was one toy I frequented more than anything with a barrel or trigger: LEGO® blocks. With these ingenious Danish creations, I was more than merely a defender of good and an avenger of evil; I was in control of literally everything. Pre-packaged kits for planes, trains, cars, municipal buildings or even spacecraft ultimately morphed into a custom-made (for me, by me) LEGO city nestled upon a discarded, three-tiered entertainment center. What made this possible? No, Benjamin, not “plastics;” modularity made this possible. Enter the SIG SAUER P250. Read More...